I know that it’s always tricky to find a leather conditioner that is good for your shoes.
After months and years of wearing without grease, your leather shoes will become dull and cracked, the leather will eventually split and you’ll find yourself having to shell out a few hundred dollars for a brand new pair.
There are many different types of materials that are used for these conditioners, whether it be beeswax, palm oil or even coconut oil.
It’s better to have natural materials, as this will not only be environmentally friendly, but it will also not corrode the materials of your favorite work boots!
Beeswax and other formulas are generally thicker than oil-based conditioners, and they are often used to protect the leather itself.
The oil-based conditioners, on the other hand, are generally made to absorb into the leather to restore the shine and the vitality of the shoe itself. So it will all depend on whether you want protection or a great presentation.
So where can you find the best leather conditioners on the market? What features should that have to fully hydrate your shoe and give you everything for great shine and moisture?
What materials are the best leather conditioners made from and which ones give you which benefits? How much will you have to pay for a decent leather conditioner?
Well, if you want the answers to your leather shoe dilemmas, then I would suggest you keep reading, as I have compiled a list of some of the best shoe leather conditioners that you can currently find on the market.
Then I round it all off with a buyer’s guide to help you identify what the best properties are for a shoe leather buffer.
List Of Best Leather Conditioners For Shoes
This first product for your shoes is very luxurious, coming in a smooth white cream that you’ll only have to use a little bit of, allowing you to keep your leather conditioner for longer.
This uses animal fats and waxes which will give your shoe a premium level of shine and gloss, as well as protection from splitting – introducing Saphir Medaille d’Or Renovator.
This is one of the best – and sadly one of the most expensive – shoe leather conditioners that you can get for your shoes.
The formula will completely hydrate your shoes, preventing them from cracking and splitting and keeping them from taking on too much water. This will also preserve the original color of your shoes.
This will give your shoes that second skin, with a great patina that will prevent the boots from prematurely aging. This comes with mink oil as a primary ingredient, which has been known to restore the moisture and the texture of your shoes.
This will work on many different types of leather, making them great for your work boots and your best dancing shoes.
- This will give your shoe that really nice luster, allowing them to shine and seem like new even if you have been wearing them for years.
- This will remove all the scuffs from your shoes, restoring them to as near their original shape as possible.
- This is free of solvents, which means they will not corrode or damage your shoes if you use them frequently.
- This will preserve the original color of your shoes, meaning that they will stay newer for much longer.
- The shoe leather conditioner is very expensive, so if you are looking to give your shoes that quick buff, I would recommend that you get another brand.
This next shoe cream is one that is very well priced, giving you everything that you need for decent hydration, which will restore the veneer of even your most weathered shoes.
This is made from a mixture of around 7 waxes, which is what gives them an amazing preservative quality – introducing the Venetian Shoe Cream.
This contains zero silicone, which means that it won’t be that hard to remove. There are many shoe leather conditioners that use silicone, although many users have complained that stuff is almost impossible to remove when it is applied.
Each of the waxes used in this shoe conditioner performs a different function, with one of them for preservation, one for hydration etc.
This will extend the lifespan of your boots by some margin, giving you everything that you need to cover up the scuffs and the markings that have accumulated on your shoes.
This will not darken the leather too much and will go some way to preserve the original color of your shoes.
- This leather conditioner is not only good for restoring the hydration of your leather shoe, but it will also form a great base polish.
- This will give you a medium level of shine on your shoes, which for the price point, I think is great value for money.
- This can be used on many different types of leather, meaning that you’ll be able to use it on all of your boots, from work to dancing shoes.
- This will not degrade the color of your shoes too much, maybe lowering it a few shades.
- This does not have great waterproofing capabilities, so if you do have work boots that you wear outdoors, you might want to buy something that can help keep your feet dry.
If you want a solid shoe grease that will keep your boots protected against the grime, rain and all the damaging things that the elements have to throw at you, then you can’t go far wrong with this next product.
This will help you to remove any dirt from your boot and to keep any cracks well-greased – introducing Huberd’s Shoe Grease.
This shoe grease comes with zero solvents or corrosive properties, giving you everything that you need for a decent shine.
This does tend to darken your boots, so you’ll need to test them out on a small patch of your leather shoes before covering the whole thing. This comes with beeswax and pine, which will leave a nice and natural scent and veneer.
This wax will eventually harden and form a protective sheen around your shoes, giving you everything that top-quality protective shine.
It will create a great protective barrier around your shoe, preventing any further cracks from setting in. It will also eradicate any scuffs and blemishes that might appear on your shoes.
- This will create a water-resistant barrier around the entirety of your shoe, so if you have work boots that you want to protect against the elements, then I would suggest that you pick this one.
- There are zero synthetic elements in this shoe leather conditioner, making it one of the most natural and environmentally-friendly shoe leather conditioners on the market.
- This will leave your shoes with that wonderful and natural shine, it will not darken your shoes that much, although you can expect a difference in color.
- This is one of the best shoes that you can get to protect your leather from the elements, so if you are doing a lot of outdoor work, then you can be sure this is the best protective element.
- Some users have complained that this shoe leather conditioner does smell strongly of bacon and it will certainly darken the original color of your shoes.
This is probably one of the cheapest shoe leather conditioners that I could find on the market, giving you plenty of waterproofing as well as anti-scuff and anti-crack protection.
This will soften the leather of your shoes in such a manner that it will not crack or cause the shoe to weaken – introducing the Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner.
This is a great shoe leather conditioner for anyone who works outdoors a lot and wants to improve the protection of their favorite work boots.
I find that the more protection that you apply to your outdoor boots, then the longer that they will last overall. This will go really deep into the leather of your shoes, removing scuffs and filling in deep cracks.
This is very inexpensive, which will certainly appeal to any worker who works outdoors and can imagine buying a lot of this wax on a daily basis.
This will help you improve the lifespan of your hard-worn work shoes for upwards of 3 months. This will also not dull the color of your shoes, making them a great option for formal shoes too.
- These are the cheapest shoes that you can find on the market, I would certainly recommend that you buy this if you are expecting to go through a lot of them.
- This will give your leather shoes plenty of moisture, preventing any further cracks from forming and giving you everything that you need for solid, day-round protection.
- This won’t alter the color of your shoes too greatly, which will certainly appeal to anyone who wants to use this on their dress shoes as well as their work boots.
- This will not require that many coats, as it thickens very quickly. This means that you will also need to use less of it, saving you money in the long run.
- This might not remove all the scuffs from your boots, which might not matter if you are using them on work shoes, but will certainly matter if you want to use them on dress shoes too.
This final leather conditioner is one of the best that you can get on the market, with a formula that is designed to even protect your shoes or boots from fire damage. You can also be sure that it will be protected from ash and intense heat.
This is one of the most heavy-duty leather conditioners that you can find – introducing Obenauf’s Heavy Duty LP Leather Conditioner.
This leather conditioner really provides you with premium protection, it will even stop your boots from catching fire! This will be invaluable to anyone who works in heavy industry who might have to wear steel-toed boots but who still doesn’t want their leather elements to succumb to heat damage.
You don’t have to just use this on your boots, you can even use it on your catcher’s mitt, your riding saddle or your motorcycle leather.
This is one of the most versatile leather conditioners, meaning that if you have an active life involving heavy-duty riding and other hobbies, then I would certainly recommend this leather conditioner.
- This has been used by firefighters and policemen, claiming that it provides your shoes with incredible protection for years on end.
- If you are working in any sort of heavy industry when you can expect to encounter large amounts of heat, then you can’t really go wrong with this leather conditioner.
- You’ll certainly get your money’s worth with this leather shiner, it will give you amazing protection as well as restore the original color and shine of your shoes.
- You can use this on a wheel host of leather-based accessories and clothing, why not squeeze a dollop of this on your bike seat to restore the original color and sheen? You can also use it to restore your leather jacket or an old baseball glove.
- The price – with a premium level of quality comes a high price. This really should only be reserved for anyone who is facing extreme elements every day of the week.
So, I hope that my list of some of the most useful leather conditioners has helped you decide which is the best one for your needs. However, there will be a few different properties that you’ll be needing from your leather conditioner to get the best shine and protection for your shoes.
How Much Protection Does It Offer?
Some of these leather conditioners are extremely thick, almost forming a protective gel over the entire cover of your boot.
This is designed to keep out damaging dust and to prevent dryness from eventually cracking your shoes. Some of the leather conditioners that we’ve listed above even have the ability to protect you from fire.
How Easy Is It To Remove?
Taking off your leather conditioner is just as important as taking it off. I have found that some of these shoe conditioners become too hard and actually take away some of the original colors of my shoe.
This is because not all leather conditioners work with different types of leather.
How Expensive Is It?
This will all depend on how often you’ll be putting it on your shoe. If you are going to work every day and want that extra protection for your work boots, then maybe a cheaper price tag will matter to you.
The same will go if you are just looking for that little touch-up for your dress shoes before you go out.
How Versatile Is It?
There are a few of the leather conditioners listed above that will not just be applicable for your shoes, but they can also be applied to baseball mitts and motorcycle seat leather.
This is very important if you are looking to make the most out of your tin of shoe leather conditioner.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Leather Conditioner Should You Apply To Your Shoes?
You should not really put on more than a small amount, as if you put on too much it might harden and ultimately damage the constitution of your leather.
You should put a pea-sized amount of conditioner on to start with and see how that affects your shoe. You’ll just want that added bit of shine and for the scuffs to disappear.
Should Your Leather Conditioner Be Waterproof?
Most shoes will succumb to rain and water damage over time, so I would certainly recommend that you have one that will prevent your leather from warping and developing cracks over time.
When leather gets wet and dry rapidly over the course of weeks and months, then you can expect them to start cracking and eventually splitting.
I hope that my list of some of the best shoe leather conditioners on the market has helped you to narrow down which are the best for your types of shoes.
Remember that not all shoe leather conditioners are suitable for all types of leather and I would recommend that you check the label before buying your next conditioner.